2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design Pocket Guide
606.2 Clear Floor Space.
EXCEPTIONS: 1. A parallel approach complying with 305 shall be permitted to a kitchen sink in a space where a cook top or conventional range is not provided and to wet bars.
2. A lavatory in a toilet room or bathing facility for a single occupant accessed only through a private office and not for common use or public use shall not be required to provide knee and toe clearance complying with 306.
3. In residential dwelling units, cabinetry shall be permitted under lavatories and kitchen sinks provided that all of the following conditions are met:
(a) the cabinetry can be removed without removal or replacement of the fixture;
(b) the finish floor extends under the cabinetry; and
(c) the walls behind and surrounding the cabinetry are finished.
4. A knee clearance of 24 inches (610 mm) minimum above the finish floor or ground shall be permitted at lavatories and sinks used primarily by children 6 through 12 years where the rim or counter surface is 31 inches (785 mm) maximum above the finish floor or ground.
5. A parallel approach complying with 305 shall be permitted to lavatories and sinks used primarily by children 5 years and younger.
6. The dip of the overflow shall not be considered in determining knee and toe clearances.
7. No more than one bowl of a multi-bowl sink shall be required to provide knee and toe clearance complying with 306.