Master in Management of Design for All - at Universitat De Vic (Barcelona) in Partnership with Design for All Foundation
Oct 02, 2017 - Jun 15, 2018   |   Organized by: Universitat De Vic
Universal Design (UD) also known as Design for All or Inclusive Design is every year more and more integrated in public policies and private projects.
As more advanced countries have discovered, UD is a key factort for sustainable development.
The concept of Universal Design has evolved dramatically along the last years. Driven by the synonymous, but initially “rights-based” concept of Design for All used mainly in Europe, Universal Design is evolving from designing for the needs of elder and disabled population towards designing for the respect of human diversity in economic growth context considering all aspects of diversity (cultural, gender, sexual orientation, abilities, age, dimensions, etc.).
Another key transformation can be found in the UD methods: professionals have evolved from “designing considering elder and disabled persons” to “designing with people”.
Due to all these ramifications UD can’t be considered as an isolated issue. UD is a key aspect of social sustainability to be valued as other crucial aspects (economy, ecology and social cohesion among others) while designing policies, laws, services, products or environments.
The course will describe how the global concept UD can be put into practice in specific contexts, whereby the methodology will be comparable even if the particular outcomes differ.
By means of study visits, tools and methods learned, projects developed under each Module, on-line discussions and the final project, the student will be able to manage all aspects of the implementation of Universal Design in all areas of the public and private sectors.
By the end of the course the students will be able to work as UD managers in the public sector or in private companies but also as UD consultants, in detail this implies:
Understand the definition of a good practice in UD and, above all, the complexity of adapting environments, products and services to match with the very diverse expectations and constraints of users and providers.
Understand the critical aspects to succeed in designing and delivering services considering all aspects of human diversity.
Use in a professional way methods and tools for users’ involvement and co-design with users.
Identify and prioritize the key factors to balance social, economic and ecological aspects in UD implementation.
Discover the Seven Interdependent Success Factors (7ISF) to design a project and to assess the services through the analysis of existing good practice examples.
Discover worldwide cases of UD delivered by the administration, the business sector and the social forces.
Ability to diagnose the improvements to be made in public space, buildings, transport means, products and services with the use of appropriate instruments and tools.
Ability to project a retrofitting plan with the use of appropriate instruments and tools.
Ability to act as a consultant for the implementation of UD in new urban planning, buildings, products and services and to use the appropriate instruments and tools.
Method of presentation:
Lectures and discussions: The lectures will provide the description of different services, socio-demographic elements and analysis methods supported by bibliography and images. During the lectures open discussion will be stimulated.
Class participation: Students will analyse in groups different projects running in different contexts using analysis tools that will be provided to them. In a second step extrapolation possibilities will allow to check the transferability of UD methods.
Field studies: Visits to companies and public spaces related to UD in Barcelona. In a second step extrapolation possibilities will allow to check the transferability of UD methods.
Oral presentations: Students are expected to present the results of their analysis or proposals with visual support.
As examples, Barcelona’s public space, buildings, transportation services and companies, the Design for All Foundation, Barcelona Design Hub, Zicla and Access Safety, among others. In a second step extrapolation possibilities will allow to check the transferability of UD methods.
The sessions will be in Barcelona.
From 2/10/2017 to 15/06/2018. The sessions will be along 6 weeks (monday to friday, from 9-14 and 16-20 h), starting October 2017 since June 2018
MFP presentation:15 September 2018
- Official Federal Documents (1)
- Other Access Publications (3)
- Corada Voices (3)
- Products and Additional Resources (3)
- Webinars, Videos, and Training (30)
- Design Solution (5)
- Product Demonstration or Information (2)
- Spirit of the ADA (23)
- AIA An Architect's Story: Chris Downey
- Addressing Accessibility in Capital Needs: Part 1 - HUD - 5/18/12
- At your service. A 20 minute film. Engage customers with disabilities.
- Commit to Inclusion
- Communicating with People with Disabilities: Accessible Places
- Communicating with People with Disabilities: What Are You Saying
- Disability Employment Policy (ODEP): Workforce Recruitment Program Success, Northrop Grumman
- Disability Employment Policy (ODEP): Workforce Recruitment Program Success, SSB BART Group
- Disability Employment Policy (ODEP): Workforce Recruitment Program Success, The Pentagon
- Inclusion in Every Play
- Jack Catlin, Part 01 of 07: "Universal Design"
- Jack Catlin, Part 02 of 07: "Why Universal Design is Important"
- Jack Catlin, Part 03 of 07: "Barriers Create Disability"
- Jack Catlin, Part 04 of 07: "A Perfect Environment"
- Jack Catlin, Part 05 of 07: "Chicago has become Accessible"
- Jack Catlin, Part 06 of 07: "Why This Project is Important"
- Jack Catlin, Part 07 of 07: "Becoming an Activist Architect"
- McGuire VA Medical Center 3-D Printing Program to Assist Veterans in Rehabilitation
- Meet The Normals - Adventures in Universal Design
- Our fight for disability rights and why we're not done yet | Judith Heumann | TEDxMidAtlantic
- TALK TO ME | Physical Disability Awareness
- UNICEF: Disability and Child Protection
- Why Corada?
- Upcoming Events (20)
- 2018 APA Annual Conference January 31 and APA Specialist Track (s) Option
- 2018 National ADA Symposium - Pittsburgh, PA
- Abilities EXPO - DC Metro 2017
- Abilities EXPO - San Mateo 2017
- Accessibility Professionals Association (APA) - Houston-APA Regional CE Training, Oct 20, 2017
- Accessing Higher Ground - Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference
- CASp 101: Certification and Practices - Oakland, CA - December 2017
- CASp 101: Certification and Practices - San Diego, CA - November 2017
- CASp 101: Certification and Practices - San Diego, CA - November 2017
- CASp Code Discussion Group - December 20, 2017
- CASp Code Discussion Group - November 15, 2017
- CASp Code Discussion Group - October 18, 2017
- FHA Design and Construction Webinar: Accessible Public and Common Use Areas (2 of 4)
- FHA Design and Construction Webinar: Common Design and Construction Violations and Solutions (4 of 4)
- FHA Design and Construction Webinar: Dwelling Unit Requirements (3 of 4)
- Houston-APA Regional CE Training-Webinars Or 4-8 Hr Option
- IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - Design for Health, Wellness, & Social Participation (10/16/2017 - 11/12/2017)
- IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - UD and Home Modifications (10/16/2017 - 11/12/2017)
- Open Doors Organization - 2017 CRO Refresher Training
- Ruderman Inclusion Summit
- Links (104)
- Publication (7)
- Access to Health Care for People with Disabilities
- Best Practices for Accessible Prescription Drug Labeling Brochure
- Fair Housing Act Design Manual
- Good Practices of Accessible Urban Development: Making Urban Environments Inclusive and Fully Accessible to ALL
- Handbook of Construction Tolerances by David Kent Ballast FAIA, CSI
- Universal Design Guide for Inclusive Tourism
- Universal Design for Health Care Facilities
- Nonprofit Organization (10)
- Design for All Foundation
- Designing with People
- International Disability and Development Consortium (IDDC)
- No Barriers USA
- Renewing the Commitment: An ADA Compliance Guide for Nonprofits
- Ronald L. Mace Universal Design Institute
- The AbleGamers Charity
- Variety Freedom Program
- World ENABLED
- isUD - Innovative Solutions for Universal Design
- Federal Department or Agency (3)
- State Department or Agency (11)
- Arizona Developmental Disabilities Planning Council
- Arkansas Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities
- CCDA (California Commission on Disability Access) Accessibility Construction Inspection Checklist
- California Commission on Disability Access (CCDA)
- California Division of the State Architect (DSA)
- California State Council on Developmental Disabilities
- Colorado Developmental Disabilities Council
- Connecticut Council on Developmental Disabilities
- Council on Developmental Disabilities Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- DC Developmental Disabilities Council
- Texas Board of Architectural Examiners (TBAE)
- Trade Organization (8)
- Accessibility Professionals Association (APA)
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- American Society of Interior Designers (ASID)
- Certified Access Specialist Institute (CASI)
- Certified Access Specialist Program (CASp)
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA)
- National Association of ADA Coordinators (NAADAC)
- Texas Society of Architects
- Advocacy/Legal Service (8)
- Independent Living (6)
- Grants for Home Modification: 16 Resources for Homeowners with Disabilities
- Institute for Community Inclusion - Boston, MA
- Temple University Collaborative on Community Inclusion of Individuals with Psychiatric Disabilities - Philadelphia, PA
- The Center for Disability Empowerment (CDE) - Franklin and Delaware County, Ohio
- The Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council
- Travel/Recreation (6)
- A11yNYC - Accessibility New York City
- Morgan's Wonderland - San Antonio, Texas
- Morgan’s Inspiration Island - San Antonio, Texas
- National Center on Accessibility at Indiana University Bloomington
- National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD)
- RESNA Standards Committee on Inclusive Fitness
- Design/Construction/Barrier Removal (32)
- Publication (7)