IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - Practicing Universal Design (03/08/2019 - 04/05/2019)
Mar 08 - Apr 05, 2019   |   Organized by: Center for Inclusive Design and Environmental Access (IDeA)
Date/Time: Start Date: March 8, 2019 | End Date: April 5, 2019
Location: Online Course
Description: This course provides background material to understand disability demographics and, specifically, the aging of post-industrialized societies. A closer look at demography demonstrates how the field can support universal design practice, and assist in the identification of emerging end user trends and important design issues. Furthermore, this course explores the emergence of universal design practices in a range of professions. Universal design is presented as an example of innovation. The process and mechanisms of innovation diffusion are studied in relation to universal design, and strategies for increasing the adoption of universal design are examined.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to…
Explain why a focus on only people with disabilities limits universal design, and give examples of other groups that benefit from universal design.
Identify and critique myths associated with the aging population using demographic data.
Describe and discuss the stages of Rogers’s concept of innovation diffusion and its relationship to strategies for adoption of universal design.
Discuss how demographic data on universal design beneficiaries should influence the design of the built environment.
For information on student responsibilities, grading, and credits, see the course syllabus.
Dates/Times: Students will be responsible for completing 15 hours of work during a 4-week window (March 8 – April 5, 2019). There are no required sign in times; however, there are established due dates by which work must be completed.
CEUs: U.S. Architects will receive 15 HSW CEUs.
- Official Federal Documents (1)
- Other Access Publications (2)
- Corada Voices (3)
- Products and Additional Resources (2)
- Webinars, Videos, and Training (21)
- Design Solution (4)
- Product Demonstration or Information (2)
- Spirit of the ADA (15)
- AIA An Architect's Story: Chris Downey
- Addressing Accessibility in Capital Needs: Part 1 - HUD - 5/18/12
- Amos Winter: The cheap all-terrain wheelchair | TED Talks
- Chris Downey: Design with the blind in mind | TED Talks
- Jack Catlin, Part 01 of 07: "Universal Design"
- Jack Catlin, Part 02 of 07: "Why Universal Design is Important"
- Jack Catlin, Part 03 of 07: "Barriers Create Disability"
- Jack Catlin, Part 04 of 07: "A Perfect Environment"
- Jack Catlin, Part 05 of 07: "Chicago has become Accessible"
- Jack Catlin, Part 06 of 07: "Why This Project is Important"
- Jack Catlin, Part 07 of 07: "Becoming an Activist Architect"
- John Hockenberry: We are all designers | TED Talks
- Meet The Normals - Adventures in Universal Design
- When we design for disability, we all benefit | Elise Roy | TED Talks
- Why Corada?
- Upcoming Events (15)
- 2019 National ADA Symposium
- ADA National Network Learning Session: Fitting Accessibility into the Design and Construction Standards of Storm Shelters
- ADA Shop Talk Episode 047 - Eric Sifuentes, CASI President and Senior Project Coordinator, Associate Nacht & Lewis
- CASp 101: Certification and Practices - Los Angeles, CA - April 2019
- CASp 101: Certification and Practices - Oakland, CA - April 2019
- Encompass III: A Conference for Inclusive Architecture (2019)
- Florida Accessibility Training in the Built Environment: Seminar & Webinar
- IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - Design for Health, Wellness, & Social Participation (07/12/2019 - 08/09/2019)
- IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - Design for Human Performance (05/10/2019 - 06/07/2019)
- IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - UD and Home Modifications (09/27/2019 - 10/25/2019)
- IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - UD and Housing 1: Policy and Trends (05/10/2019 - 06/07/2019)
- IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - UD and Interior Environments (07/12/2019 - 08/09/2019)
- IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - UD and Public Accommodations (03/08/2019 - 04/05/2019)
- IDeA Universal Design E-World Online Training Course - UD and Public Transportation (09/27/2019 - 10/25/2019)
- National Association of ADA Coordinators (NAADAC) 2019 Conference
- Links (70)
- Publication (9)
- Access to Health Care for People with Disabilities
- Accessible Shared Streets: Notable Practices and Considerations for Accommodating Pedestrians with Vision Disabilities
- Best Practices for Accessible Prescription Drug Labeling Brochure
- Design Guidelines for the Visual Environment
- Fair Housing Act Design Manual
- Good Practices of Accessible Urban Development: Making Urban Environments Inclusive and Fully Accessible to ALL
- Handbook of Construction Tolerances by David Kent Ballast FAIA, CSI
- Universal Design Guide for Inclusive Tourism
- Universal Design for Health Care Facilities
- Nonprofit Organization (6)
- Federal Department or Agency (3)
- State Department or Agency (5)
- CCDA (California Commission on Disability Access) Accessibility Construction Inspection Checklist
- California Commission on Disability Access (CCDA)
- California Division of the State Architect (DSA)
- Texas Board of Architectural Examiners (TBAE)
- Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) Computer Aided Drawings Standard Plan Files
- Trade Organization (8)
- Accessibility Professionals Association (APA)
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- American Society of Interior Designers (ASID)
- Certified Access Specialist Institute (CASI)
- Certified Access Specialist Program (CASp)
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA)
- National Association of ADA Coordinators (NAADAC)
- Texas Society of Architects
- Independent Living (1)
- Travel/Recreation (2)
- Design/Construction/Barrier Removal (31)
- ADA Tolerances and Acceptable Measurements Online Continuing Education Course
- Adaptive Access
- Beneficial Designs
- CalCasp Training: Access Plan Review
- Center for Inclusive Design and Environmental Access (IDeA Center)
- Center for Universal Design
- Centre for Accessible Environments
- Cole & Associates, Inc.
- Construction Specifications Institute (CSI)
- DeafSpace Project
- Publication (9)